Thursday, May 15, 2008

Lindsey's historical day of events:)

Wow! What a day for Lindsey!
(asleep ~ after her long rough day)
(Side note - Warning! - Very lonnng post. I am partly sharing this in detail just to get it down on paper for memory sake. So, read on if you are interested in about 10 major events - all in one day. And, no way to put it into short form.)

Thankfully, I didn't have to go it alone as a single parent since Jonathan was able to get off of work and go with us on this adventurous day. First off you have to understand that Lindsey has a very unique schedule due to her Mommy's schedule. Her day began with a rude awakening around 7:45 a.m., which is way before she normally gets up. I covered her with a blanket and carried her to the van. We were headed for the pediatric dentist office for an 8:00 appointment/procedure. I hurriedly got her ready on the way there and we arrived shortly. The details of what was soon to happen is a "Conscious Sedation" for Lindsey and then to receive 4 fillings in her 4 molars. We were called back to a little sitting/waiting/play room. They came in and gave her the medicine to drink at 8:40. They explained that after about 15 minutes she would become very limp, sleepy, and possibly just close her eyes. Thy said they would come and take her from us around 9:10. Wow, we sure didn't know what was coming. Up until this point she had handled her morning just fine, but absolutely no longer. Instead of going limp and sleepy she became very resistant, independent and wanted to get down off my lap and play. One problem, her motor skills were no longer working properly so we couldn't just let her down to play. We tried to just hold her, but no go. Then we tried helping her play with the things she wanted to. She would trip over her feet, nod her head and hit things in front of her and try to pull away from us. I could just see us having to leave and go to the emergency room for stitches after hitting a piece of furniture. At 9:10 the nurse did come in and said they were ready to take her back even though she was not acting "sleepy". Lindsey went to the nurse just fine and let her take her out of the room away from us with no problems. I asked the nurse to please let us know right away as to whether they were able to start the procedure. They came back in just a few minutes and said she was doing just fine. I was expecting a longer wait, but they brought her back in to us just a mere 30 minutes later at 9:40. She was calm and was doing just fine. I took her and was holding her and she immediately wanted down, but you have to understand, this was still not an option. She became much worse in her actions than before the procedure and started crying very loudly and was somewhat combative. Definitely not acting herself. Where did my baby go, she was not acting normal. In the beginning it was a bit humorous, but now it was almost scary with the change in her personality that was effected by the medicine. I had to do a brief check out with paperwork etc. so, Jonathan just took her to the car because she was quite out of control. (side note - The doctor she saw was my pediatric dentist all my life until I turned 19. And, since he is trying to cut back on his schedule and requirements of continuing education for different procedures, Lindsey was his very LAST filling procedure like this. How sad and how neat all at the same time. He is not retiring, and he is not anciently old, but getting up there in years and was wanting to cut back. I was able to get Lindsey's picture with him and my picture with him as well.) Once I got to the car, she was still no better. It took both Jonathan and me forcibly holding her to get her buckled in her car seat. I knew once we got her there, that she would probably relax since she really couldn't fight against the buckles resistance. She did indeed relax, but you couldn't look at her or talk to her or she would get really upset. We drove through the Burger King drive through for some breakfast, but we definitely couldn't eat it in front of her because she was only still allowed to have clear liquids. We went straight home after that because there was certainly no way we could go anywhere else with her in this condition. When we got home she did just fine (for a few minutes :). She let me hold her and Jonathan quietly ate his breakfast in the other room. Then, we switched and Jonathan held her while I ate breakfast. She became very combative again and Jonathan held her firmly and within a few minutes she relaxed and conked out like a light - sound asleep. She slept soundly from 10:40 to 2:40. When she woke up she was MUCH BETTER! Thank goodness. All the grogginess, dizziness, etc. was gone. She ate a pudding, but still nothing much up to this point. I had a 4:00 OB appointment, so we got ready and left for the doctors. She loves going to the doctor with me and getting to hear the baby's heartbeat and the nurse lets her sit up on the table with me and hold the Doppler. Starting with the doctors visit and for the rest of the day she was kind of irrational and irritable at times and still not herself at all. It was as if she was a spoiled brat with no discipline and had to have her way or we would have a MAJOR melt down. Normally if things don't go her way, I can put my foot down, she understands and we go on our way with no major effects. Today was different and we definitely handled her differently because it wouldn't have been fair to her for her to get into a lot of trouble when she was still being effected by the aftermaths of the medicine she had earlier. After the doctors appointment we went to the mall to get something to eat and to get her a small present for having to go through the whole morning of drama. (side note - The gift is a tradition in Jonathan's family to do this when there are medical procedures done, etc. and we now continue with the tradition.) We spent some time shopping around in the mall and at another store and then headed for home. Don't get me wrong, overall she was well behaved, but she was definitely having her moments, which were not fun and no fun for us either. Once we arrived home she opened up her toys, which were two bath toys and was playing with them in the bathroom sink. It was becoming quite messy, so she needed to stop, but this was not OK with her. I ended up putting her in the bathtub to play and she had an absolute blast and stayed in there forever. We kept a close eye and ear on her, but at one point we were sitting in the living room and Lindsey had gotten out of the bathtub on her own and came down the hall to me and said, "I pee". I asked her if she said she needed to "p" and she said no, so I asked her to show it to me. I went in the bathroom with her and she lifted her little potty lid and showed me. Sure enough, there it was toilet paper and all. Wow, I was shocked! She is not potty trained, but we have been attempting to work on it a little. I was so proud of her. She had gotten out of the bathtub, gone to the bathroom, wiped and then told me - all on her own. I guess I better jump on the whole potty training issue before this baby arrives in a few weeks. After this ordeal she proceeded to get back into the bathtub and play some more. Jonathan checked on her a little while later and he told me to come look at her hair. I had already washed and rinsed her hair earlier, but it was all soapy again. My alerts went up and so I went to investigate where the shampoo bottle was. I was hoping it wasn't in the bathtub with the lid open getting watered down inside. What I found was an "empty" shampoo bottle and VERY soapy water. I looked at her eyes and they were irritated as well. Talk about a slippery girl. It was time to get out at this point, so I rinsed her off with the shower head and got her out. She was finally hungry after having not wanted to eat much up to this point, so she scarfed down a large serving of macaroni and cheese. She wanted me to read her a book so she got up on the couch between Jonathan and me and I read a little bit to her. A little bit later, I looked down at her and realized she had fallen asleep sitting up and was propped up against my arm. Exhausted and worn out she was finally down for the night at 10:15. Wow, what a day. All I have to say for this day is - DRAMA!

Click on the picture below for more pics.

7 comments:

The Going Blog said...

I'm glad she did okay! That's not fun letting them go out of your sight is it? Great post.

Susan L said...

I can't believe how long her hair is getting. It seems to be longer every time I see her.

Janella said...

Oh.......sweet baby that does not sound like a very fun day at ALL! Aunt Nella sends you xxxx&oooo's. So glad everything is done.

sankey family said...

Bless her little heart - that does sound like a "not fun" day. Glad she's ok now!

Kristina Clemens said...

It was fun to look at your pictures. How fun to go to the Vera Bradley store. Kristina Clemens

Kristina Clemens said...

I meant to ask you if you knew of any way I could get in touch with Lisa. I saw pics of her on your trip to the Vera Bradley store. I have been trying to get in touch with her for so long. Does she have a blog? Thanks, Kris

Constance said...

Wow, what a day. At least she is better now. That is exciting about the potty thing.