Sunday, February 4, 2007

!!UPDATE!! Regarding my Mother's surgery details...

Hello to all! I am finally back to my blog to give you an update regarding my mother. Friday, February 2nd, was verrrrry loooong. I was up and going at 4:50 a.m. Dad, Mom, Lindsey and myself arrived at Holmes Hospital a couple minutes after 6 a.m. She received her nerve block and they took her to surgery at 7:34. Around 8:30 a nurse came out & was able to tell us that Mom's surgery was mostly done and would be going to recovery shortly. At 9:30 the PA came out to tell us everything was done and that it all went well. Mom was scheduled to have a complete shoulder replacement and the good news was that they only ended up having to do a Hemi (partial) shoulder replacement. They cut the corner of the shoulder ball off that rubs against the bone as it rotates. They put a prosthetic type ball over that area that slipped down and around the remaining part of ball that was left. The flat bone that it rubs against was in healthy condition, which they were not expecting to find. When a shoulder replacement surgery is done they have to go through the rotator cuff muscle(s) to work on the bone. Therefore they had to go thru what had been repaired in the past and then they said it was quite tedious getting it back together. There was lots of scar tissue, which Mom is very prone to. Her recovery will be longer than what we were expecting. I am expecting her to be off work at least 3 to 4 weeks and maybe even more, but we really don't know at this point. Once Mom was in recovery she had quite a time of it with feeling like she couldn't breathe. Due to the nerve block she had received she had a feeling of paralysis, but recovered from that quickly. We were asked to leave around 11:30 a.m. and to go get a bite to eat and that they would give us a call when she had been transported and assigned to a room over at Univeristy of Cincinnati Hospital. It ended up being all afternoon into early evening and she finally arrived to her room at 6 p.m. The evening was uneventful with all of our family being there. We ordered in Adriatako's pizza and spent the evening with Mom. Dad went back Saturday and she was dismissed and came home around 1:30 p.m. She is now home resting and considering what she has been thru is doing quite well. She is in pain, but that is to be expected. Thank you to Pastor Philips, Jim and Betty Jewett for coming to sit with the family during Mom's surgery. We appreciate your thoughtfulness. Later for now.

Click on the picture below and you will get to see more pictures of the 18 hour day we spent at the hospital.

No comments: